Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Using It Up


This past year, I've been trying to use up the vast stash of fabric that I have in my house. I've made a number of quilts from my scraps, but the pile just isn't going down! This quilt is one I made yesterday from a dozen fat quarters that I had on hand. Even the borders came from my stash. The pattern is one I have had for many-a-year...it's a "stack and slice" technique...and is extremely easy and fast to construct. It will be quilted and given to the child of one of our fallen troops through my local Project Linus Chapter.

Has anyone else been successful at using up their stash? I know there are lots of blogs out there that are dedicated to stash busting if you are needing ideas on how to sort, cut, and use up that ever-growing pile of fabric!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Conni, I just busted my stash big time, but you won't see anything new on my blog. I cleaned out and made a pile to give to my daughter with a hand-me-down sewing machine she has started to show an interest in having. I think that's the only way to really deplete the stash, give some of it away -- pile it up and get it out of the house. Otherwise, if you think about it, considering how little fabric goes into a quilt, trying to deplete a stash by making quilts would take decades (and that's only if you buy absolutely no new fabric over all those years).
I love this red, white and blue star quilt. A youngster will truly appreciate it!

Michelle said...

Way to use up that stash, Conni! It's really a great quilt. I'm always setting goals to use that stuff up...I'm hoping 2011 will be a great stash busting year! LOL

Laura-IH said...

What a great quilt, Conni! I'm with you--I really need to reduce my stash. It's starting to take up too much room. Maybe 2011 will be the year of the scrappy quilt! : )